Monday, June 18, 2007

Departure Day - 1

Which is worse: the last day at work before a trip or the first day on your return? One of today's tasks was to download instructor files for my fall classes from the text publisher websites, then copy them to my USB flash drive. All so I can work on them at night during my travels. Of course, I forgot it when I left work. Fortunately, I hadn't gone far from work.

I got the MS Streets & Trips working with the GPS Locator today. The first time I tried the install I got an error about an incompatibility with Window Media Player 10. I cancelled the rest of the install until I could ponder the problem. I upgraded to WMP 11. Same thing.
After a quick check on the web to find out this is a known problem, I decided to proceed with the install and had no other problems.

I'm thinking the text-to-voice feature might be nice to have when I am driving-- "turn left in .1 mile". Hubby and I played with it when we went out for Chinese food tonight. When the computer said to turn left and we turned right, the next message told us were off the route. Speed and compass direction seem pretty accurate. I wonder what it will be like in the city.

Itineraries and hotel/conference confirmations are printed. There are little piles of stuff I don't want to forget. Wonder if I can get to sleep now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The last day before you leave is definitely worse. A major project always lands on your desk- usually with a smile, a tight deadline, and a friendly: "You're leaving on holidays soon, aren't you? How nice. When do you leave?"

At least when you return you have the tiny luxury of that little bit of understanding extended to you by your co-workers: "I know you just got back and are probably swamped, but...."

Have fun, Mom!