Friday, June 22, 2007

Feasting on sunshine and ideas

After a brief drizzle in the morning as we waited for a cab, the day unfolded with clear blue skies. Seattle has rolled out the welcome mat for us. The view from the Bell Harbor Conference Center at Pier 66 reminded me of Vancouver, BC. There were tug boats and ferries, but I saw more motor boats and sail boats here. I can only think of having seen three piers in Vancouver: the cruise ship terminal, the grain storage by Ironworkers Memorial Bridge, and one in between where the container ships go. What a variety here in Seattle!

The conference facilities are superb, and the food is excellent. The coffee, of course, is Starbucks. Note to self: remember that the bananas go fast at break time. I have learned something from each of the six speakers so far. Eric Meyer taught me things I didn't know that I needed to know about CSS and how it interacts with browsers. Jeffrey Zeldman focussed on the importance of words and tone in a website. Jason Santa Maria's opening Powerpoint slide flourished a paper bag for those of us who can't design our way out of one. I have lots to think about, and there are six more presentations today-- I can hardly wait! I'll write more on the conference later.

There are six of us from Selkirk College attending An Event Apart. We are sharing rooms to stretch the expense money. I haven't done that very often as an adult-- brings college days to mind. Last night, in a "good night" tone of voice, Charla said "let's talk about updating the professional development webpages tomorrow". Right... I was feeling drowsy until then. Who could wait till tomorrow? So off we go for another hour.

No comments: